Original Sketch of Konark Sun Temple


King Purushotama Deva of Khurda Dynasty (1607-1621) initiated a survey report in 1610 with detailed description and drawings of Lingaraja temple, Jagannath temple and Konark temple. The report was written on 23 palm leaf strips in old Karani script in Odia language. This sketch/drawing, which is a palm leaf engraving, shows the original state of the Konark temple. We are not fortunate enough to see the complete temple, but this drawing is the only visual clue of the complete temple and how it looked in the 16th century before it's destruction.

Original State of Konarkk Sun Temple

1. DEULA - Deula or Garbha Griha or Vimana was the main temple which housed the Sun God, but now most of the upper portion (in fact 90%) of the Deula has been destroyed and today we see only the remaining lower portion of the Deula. We can still see the beautifully carved simhasana (seat of the Sun God) made of chlorite stone in the remaining lower portion of the main temple.

2. JAGAMOHANA - This is the only complete visible structure which we see today. Most of us believe that this is the main temple, but sadly this is not the main temple but the assembly hall and entrance to the main temple. In local Odia language it is also called 'Mukhasala'.

3. HORSES - Most of the horses, those are pulling the chariot, are destroyed over the time. Even the remains of these horses are limited and scattered. But there is one good example and we can still see remaining parts of it.

4. LIONS - These lions are missing now a days. You may hear from the guides that these lions were shifted-to in front of the nata mandapa (Dancing Hall) but the above sketch already shows lions in front of nata mandap. If we trust this original sketch of the temple then these lions are missing.

5. ARUNA STAMBHA - This pillar is known as 'Aruna Stambha' and is missing now. 'Aruna' is the charioteer of Sun God and in local Odia language 'Stambha' means pillar. This pillar was later recovered from the ruins and has been shifted to Puri and has been installed in front of the eastern gate of the Jagannath temple.

6. NATA MANDAPA - Today we can see the nata mandapa (dancing hall) but it is also broken. The roof of the nata mandapa does not exit but we can see the base with four entrance and remaining massive pillars of the nata mandapa. The pillars are intricately carved and have beautiful sculptures of women, dancing and playing variety of musical instruments.

7. GAJASIMHA - We see the mighty Gajasimha (lion upon elephant) structures today at the entrance of the nata mandapa (dancing hall).

Back to Home